Monday, June 18, 2012

Celebrity Trends: Ugandan Designer Gloria Wavamunno

Gloria Wavamunno
"I am in love with my continent right now," says Ugandan designer Gloria Wavamunno. "My art is African and I am extremely proud of where I come from." These sentiments are apparent in her autumn/winter 2011/12 collection entitled 'Not A Dream, My Soulmate.'
Cute jackets made from Ugandan bark cloth are worn with full pleated skirts, hot pants and cropped trousers in shades of gold, black and blue.
Debuted at London Fashion Week, the show also featured slogan T-shirts -- one was emblazoned with 'I'm Responsible For My Africa' while another had the words 'Live Aid' crossed out and the word 'Trade' printed underneath.
Wavamunno was born in London in 1985, where her parents had relocated to in order to escape civil war back home but the family moved back to Uganda shortly after her birth as peace returned under President Yoweri Museveni.
She studied fine art at the American Intercontinental University in London and interned at Ozwald Boateng before launching her label in Kampala in 2009 with her first collection called L.O.V.E.
She's since opened a boutique, shown at African Fashion Week in Johannesburg.

culled from cnn.com


No comments:

Post a Comment